Robots have proven they can change the life of society by helping in healthcare and other industries. They can perform small and delicate tasks without any problems, difficulties, or worries. Robots are also amazing at handling monotonous tasks that might be tedious and quite challenging to humans, so it is only a matter of time when they are going to at least partially conquer the educational sector. There are many ways we can benefit from the use of robots in education.
1. We can use robots for students that are otherwise unable to attend the classroom. There are some cases when due to special needs or some special physical states of the body people cannot attend a traditional school, but they still need to gain that experience. Technology, in this regard, can make this process easy and almost real.
2. Robotics produce simulators that are amazing at training for a particular activity without taking risks. As education gets more focused on the practical use of knowledge, different simulators can be implemented as a safe way to practice skill and model and create various situations. As well as pilots use flight simulators for training, there could be programs teaching to act in real-life situations.
3. There are also amazing stand-ins when it comes to learning delicate procedures, like those in medical training. We cannot use people as a training ground, and that is why many professionals lack practical training. Robotic stand-ins can change that and give actual practical experience with the most sophisticated procedures.
4. They are great solution for students with special needs, performing various study programs that are designed particularly for them.
5. They might also become tutors. It is actually happening right now in Tampere, Finland where robot Elias helps children to learn languages and math.
So, how can we benefit from the use of robots in education? Well, they are great with repetitive tasks: they do not get tired and can perform the same assignment a thousand of times. One of the most crucial benefits of robot tutors is that they are not judgmental or biased and they give a child as much time as they need. They will repeat the same word or question even hundreds of times just to give a person or child time to learn with the natural speed.
They also can provide valuable insight for a human teacher regarding the learning process and the interaction with students. In the not so distant future, they will probably be able students’ facial expressions to understand them better.
Technology makes our life easier and provides us with the ability to delegate tiring or monotonous tasks to robots. However, they will never substitute humans in education, writing, and creativity. Only humans can create truly remarkable pieces of art and writing. However, we still need to get the best use of technology in the future.